The Portland School of Herbal Wisdom is proud to announce its 2018-2019 Somatic Herbalist Practitioner Training.
Under the guidance of Sean Donahue and several guest instructors this training will prepare herbalists to practice in a way that is:
- Vitalist: Treating the body as a living ecology with an animating intelligence
- Animist: Rooted in an understanding of the world as alive, and of the inseparability of our bodies from the body of the world
- Committed to liberation, decolonization, and cultivation of healthy culture
- Focused on helping to shift a person’s felt sense of being to one that allows them to be more deeply and joyfully embodied
- Informed by history, science, poetry, magic, collective and personal experience and gnosis
Students will gain a deep grounding in the philosophy and practice of Somatic Herbalism, hone their clinical skills, and learn to integrate magical tools and perspectives in their practice.
Due to the nature of the training this program only has 20 spots available to students. Please apply early to make sure you reserve your spot.
What will be covered in the Training?
- The historical, biological, cosmological, and magical understandings that shape the praxis of this form of somatic herbalism
- Understanding herbal energetics through the lens of somatic states and somatic states through the lens of herbal energetics
- Techniques for divining elements of a person’s somatic experience including pulse diagnosis, heart-centered perception, and interview skills
- Vitalist philosophy and practice
- Ways of developing animist and magical practices that can be incorporated into your work with people without engaging in cultural appropriation
- Educing somatic shifts with small doses of herbal medicine
- Testing herbs with people
- Working with your own ancestors and how to incorporate that into your practice
- Practices for inner education, grounding, centering, attunement, and protection
- Pulse evaluation in the Shen-Hammer method adapted for herbalists
- Queering Herbalism
- Radical acts of “self-care”
- The Fascial System and Embodiment—Sensory Integration, Pleasure, Pain and Psychology
- Working with earthly and celestial cycles
- Physical, psychological, spiritual, and magical properties of Herbs
- Opportunities to observe Sean in practice with clients
- Clinical Guidance
- And much more…
Dates for the 2018-2019 training are:
September 27th-October 1st, 2018
November 8th-12th, 2018
Jan 10th-14th, 2019
March 7th-11th, 2019
April 25th-29th, 2019
Training hours will be 9:30am-4:30pm each day with a break for Lunch in between.
Each Module will build upon the previous. It is best practice to plan on being present for every module. However if for some reason you need to miss a portion of the class time, classes will be recorded and given to current students. Modules are only available in series and not individually.
Costs and Payment Options
- $3100 if paid in full by April 15, 2018
- $3400 if paid in full by August 1, 2018
- $3700 if paid in full by October 1, 2018 or if making alternative payment arrangements
You are responsible for your own lodging, transportation to Portland, OR and meals.
You can choose to pay in full prior to the start of classes or choose a payment plan. We are flexible with our payment plans and can customize one that fits both your and our needs. Please note that the tuition needs to be paid in full by April 1, 2019 before the last module begins.
* We don’t want anyone excluded from the training for lack of funds, please email us if you need to talk about alternative payment options or work trade possibilities for a partial scholarship.